This is an old post imported from a previous blog, with a few updates.
Ever wanted to crochet yourself a little narwhal friend? This guy measure about 5 inches long (not including his tusk).
Worsted Weight Yarn in your favorite Narwhal Color.
Worsted Weight Yarn in White (for the tusk)
sc- single crochet
inc - increase (2 sc in same stitch)
dc - double crochet
hdc - half double crochet
trc - triple/treble crochet
invdec - invisible decrease ()
ch - chain
sl st - slip stitch
# in parentheses is # of stitches you should have at the end of the round
Repeat from ** six times
1. sl st, then ch 2.
2. 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook (6)
3. Increase around (12)
4. *1sc in next st, then inc* (18)
5. *1sc in next 2 st, then inc* (24)
6. *1sc in next 3 st, then inc* (30)
7-11. sc around (30 x 5 = 150!)
12. *1sc in next 3 st, then invdec* (24)
13. sc around (24)
14. *1sc in next 2st, then invdec* (18)
15 - 17. sc around
(You will probably want to place eyes and stuff your narwhal here!)
18. *1 sc, invdec* (12)
19 - 20. sc around
21. Close up the tail. Make sure your eyes are situated the way you want them to be, as in you want them to be even to the tail. Stick your crochet hook through your stitch, and the stitch on the other side, then sc on top of that stitch. You should have six stitches which will close up the tail.
For the tail:
ch 1, dc in next st, 3trc in next st, sl st, sl st, 3trc in next st, dc. FO.
Fins (make two):
1. ch 4
2. hdc in next st, then another hdc in the next st. FO.
1. ch 3, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook
2-8. sc around, FO